Friday, March 13, 2015

It IS easy being green!

One of my favorite lines of one of my favorite characters, Kermit the Frog, came to mind yesterday while perusing my Milk Jug Garden Starters. But apparently, at least GROWING little green things is working very well!

As promised, here is an update on my seeds. As anticipated, the red bell peppers are doing exactly zip. As these were grown from saved seeds of uncertain age, not surprising. I will probably stick something else in those spots. The others in the rectangular starter with the peppers are doing great! Bush peas -check. Green onions - check. Dill - check.


What I was really testing, though, were the milk jugs. Would they be warm enough? Too warm? Too wet? Light filtered too much? Inquiring minds were getting impatient to know.

I am happy to report Unqualified Success. So far, anyway. The only things not poking through the dirt yet are the ones that had the longest germination times and are not expected for another week - the cilantro and rosemary. I will consider it a personal victory if the rosemary comes up at all since it said starting inside was not recommended.

Everything else (Cucumbers, Radishes, Thyme, Italian Basil, Sweet Basil, Lemon Balm, and something else I am forgetting at the moment) are ahead of germination schedule!

The radishes win the prize - they are ridiculously precocious and 3-4 inches tall already!

 
All the basils and thyme and things like that are tiny but robust.


The cucumbers are not too far behind the radishes, and will be ready to set out in a week.


I know, simple pleasures for simple minds and all that, but I am absurdly pleased.

The downside? Now I really have to get the garden ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment